Monster Blog – Note to Hiring Execs: Get a Clue blogged about 3 main points and I added my 2cents, eh, actually these are worth more than 2cents to the employers who really want to know and care:
- They Want What?
- Recognition for own effort in verbal, written or benefits (allowance, bonus, trips, free meals/coupons, off day)
- A good boss who is understanding, open minded, NOT egoistic, demeaning to staff, respect staff, bring motivation and leadership to the team, solve problems in the higher level, equal opportunity to all – no ‘pet’ staff/favouritism
- Freedom to express ideas and implement them (at least for a trial period)
- No/minimum politics
- Interview Ineptitude
- Yes, interviewers who read resume during interview may want to give the impression that they are so stressed out and busy, they are oh-so-important that I had my assistant secretary called you but it just shows that these interviewers do not care enough to hire people. So why bother in the 1st place? I would never want to go back to that company to work under the interviewer. It gives the impression that the interviewer wouldn’t take time and effort to look into matters at work.
- Witholding key info or providing misleading info. Lack of ethics in asking inappropriate questions. 1 of my 1st interview after my graduation was with a “Top 5 software company in Europe” in Selangor. The company didn’t even have a company sign outside the building! Suspicious? How Top 5 is that? The interviewer repeatedly asked me, “Why don’t you stay at home and depend on your parents? You a girl.” WTH! MCP! Even if I were hired, I wouldn’t want to work for such chauvinist.
- Dear Clueless Employer: I’m Leaving
- Some employer squeezes all the creative and performance juice out of the staffs till the staffs dehydrate and take lots of sick leave. Yet, the employer still insist that they are getting paid what they are worth for while the employer talk more than do. Hah! Unappreciated staffs work with vengence and sooner or later, the morale of the team is going to be affected. Then the performance of the team would deterioate, some lucky fellow would jump to better offers and the employer complains that the staffs are not loyal, they are greedy.
Of course, not all employers are like this. I’m sure there are good employers and companies who actually care about their staffs besides maximizing profits and minimizing loss. Let me know! :D